Saturday, May 15, 2010

Heart stopper

I happened to be in work today using the workshop and whilst I was having lunch decided to run the HP Proliant Support Pack on my three main servers, seeing that nobody was around to notice when they were offline for a few minutes. Made the classic mistake of telling my wife that I was ready to be picked up before doing the last server, just so I wouldn't have to hang around (which is what I am now doing anyway....) So PSP updates BIOS and firmware in P400i controller, server reboots and I get the heart stopping, stomach churning "no boot disk found". Long story short anyway, firmware update has put the 2 logical drives in failed state. I discover this after seriously rethinking my career kind of hour.

Anyway. Booted from SmartStart CD reenabled drives, ignored all warnings that all the data was probably screwed and prayed as the server restarted and booted up fine. A few data integrity checks later and I am relieved, but cold waiting for my lift, and a little older and greyer.

There are so many lessons and morals to this story that I don't know where to start.....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment